Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) is a term that is tossed around in any discussion about internet marketing, but few people really understand what it means and what it involves.
The purpose of SEO is to rank higher in search engines so that people can find your website and its content. Effective use of SEO requires you to use specific words within your posts so that when users are searching these words, they find your site.
Not only do search engines look for these keywords they also look for relevant content. Writing gibberish in keywords will not help your SEO. Original content that is in keeping with your website is the best choice to drive visitors to you. When creating original content, do not forget that it needs to be relevant, well written, and customer focused if you want people to visit your site.
Tips for writing content:
- Proofread: Numerous spelling and grammar mistakes will distract customers, and can make it difficult for search engines to analyse your content.
- Use titles and headings: Break up your content so that it makes it easier for people to skim read. Keywords are more effective in titles and headings, so make sure to give yourself opportunities to use them.
- Use short sentences: Online content is not a book. Use short sentences that your audience can read quickly.
Keywords are words or phrases that people search online. Integrating these keywords into your content will improve your search engine rankings. An effective SEO campaign, however, relies on choosing the correct keywords.
For example, keywords that match websites will rank higher in search engines. Additionally, popular searches change, so it is necessary to research the best keywords for your content.
Once you choose your keywords, use them to guide your original content. Variation of keywords should be in the title and headings and repeated throughout the content.
A tool to help you with this is Yoast SEO, so make sure you download this and install it to your WordPress site.
Another important aspect of the SEO process is linking. Every external link is a vote of confidence in the relevance of your website. The goal of SEO is to gain inbound links to your website. The more inbound links, the better your SEO rankings will be.
Following are a few ideas to improve the number of inbound links on your site:
- Write: Writing and publishing articles online in other forums will provide a link back to your site. So if you publish content elsewhere, insist that it links back to your website.
- Contact bloggers: Ask bloggers to review products or share information that will lead back to your site.
- Social Media Links: Include links to your site in all social media activity. This will result in links being clicked and drive up traffic.
Lastly, if you are willing to spend some time and money, there are pay per click ads and affiliate sites. These can generate clicks to your site, but they are in the grey area ethically, and you are better off making an effort to put in place the best practices of SEO to achieve growth in your website traffic.
To learn more about how to maximise your SEO on your site, make sure you sign up for our 10 Day SEO Challenge using the form below.